We are on the fast track to Christmas now and the lead up to the festive season is busy to say the least. If, like me, you are adding a holiday to your Christmas celebrations, then you will really start to be pressed right around now. Right then, time to get your priorities in order!
It is easy to feel overwhelmed at this time of year with work and deadlines looming. Time to take stock of what needs to be done in order to priortise tasks and thus ensure you capitalise on the time you have.
Here’s my list of a few things I am trying to get finished in the next few weeks:
- Rewrite the draft of my novel: I am three quarters of the way through rewriting my draft. As I go along, I keep seeing other bits and pieces that I need to go back to address, so once this rewrite is done, I will go back and add these things in. Then I will proofread the whole thing for tense, grammar and just plain silly errors.
- I have a group of readers waiting to review this draft over the Christmas break so readying my draft is a top priority.
- I continue seeking and quoting for future freelance work that will take me into 2014. Again, quite a priority – after all, I need to eat!
- To this end, I’m trying to get a writing and editing services business website ‘A Worded Life‘ up and running. At the moment, I am just doing a content dump. I will work on the ‘look’ of the site over the Christmas period and into the New Year. Feel free to take a preliminary look, but bear in mind it is a work in progress at the moment. I will let you all know when it is finalised and officially up and running.
- I am finalising a number of smaller freelance projects – it’s always nice to go on holidays knowing your work is on track.
- I’ve been and continue volunteering my services to a charity aiming to reducing gender-based violence and poverty, empowering women through business. More about this once my business website is up and running.
- Query literary agents and publishers: early next year, I want to start approaching literary agents and publishers. I have written a draft synopsis of my novel, but also need a cover letter and to have the first 3 chapters finely edited. This will form the pack that I send out. Keep an eye out for my upcoming blogs about this process.
- I continue Blogging twice a week and Tweeting every day – all writing related.
It’s certainly not a complete list, but you get the point…busy!
What is taking up most of your time at the moment? How are you preparing from the festive season?
Photo credit: Christmas Time